There are 3 reception classes in the school. One of these is open plan with a dedicated teacher input area and then a joint area shared between 60 children. There is a large playground to the front of the school which children have access to at all times. There is another classroom which has a smaller play area dedicated to the children and toilet facilities. The children access the Early Years Foundation Curriculum which consists of 6 areas of learning. Theses areas will be found within every Reception classroom. The children also have access to the ICT suite, Hall and Musical instruments.
The Reception Classes have a full-time Teaching Assistant which is invaluable. We have an open door policy in Reception and if you have any concerns or worries please speak to the member of staff on the classroom door.
Collection of children
Teachers of year R children are requested to escort their class to the class door and ensure the pupil is handed over to a carer. Pupils who are not collected remain with the teacher until suitable collection is organised.
If there is a change to the routine, or a different person is collecting the pupil, the class teacher or school secretary must be informed. If arrangements are changed during the day, parents are asked to telephone the school office with the details of the new arrangements.
How you can help
- Remind your child to bring their book bag every day, hear them practise their sounds when you can and share their library book with them
- Help your child learn their sounds
- Talk about everyday maths e.g. "Look, this table has 4 sides"
- Provide your child with a water bottle
- Remind your child to remove ear-rings on PE days
- Name all clothing to help your child find their own belongings in school
Please click below for examples of how we teach the children to write letter shapes:
Click here for recent Year R events.
Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to working with you throughout the remainder of the year.