Starting school is an exciting time for children and their parents, but we know it can also be a worrying time. At Glenfrome we aim to make this transition a happy and enjoyable experience for you and your child, and we have a range of activities designed to ease the whole family into their new school life.
During the Summer Term, you will be invited to bring your child in to school to meet their teachers and see where they will be learning. There will also be a meeting for parents to give you a range of information and to fill in the necessary induction forms.
In September we carry out a Home Visit, which is a great way for us to find out more about your child so we are prepared to meet their needs. It also begins to build up trust if your child can see their new teacher being welcomed into their home.
Your child’s introduction to school will be gradual, with children staying for one session (morning or afternoon) each day. They will be introduced to everyday school routines during this time, such as learning time, carpet time, snack time and lunch time. After this short induction period of around 2 weeks, your child will be in school full time. If your child is taking longer to settle, then we may discuss extending this settling-in period with you.
Here are some ideas to prepare you both for this exciting time!
- talk to your child about starting school
- share books with your child
- show excitement and value for learning
- talk to your child about things that interest and excite them
- encourage your child to look after all belongings
- put your child’s name in clothing
- have clothes and shoes that can be put on independently (shoes with velcro fastening are great!)
- encourage your child to use the toilet independently
- encourage your child to tidy up after themselves
- set your child up for the day with a good night’s sleep and a healthy breakfast