LENGTH OF SERVICE
All governors serve a term of office of four years.
Staff governors and Parent Governors are elected by staff and parents respectively. LA governors are appointed by the Local Education Authority, and community and sponsored governors are appointed by the governing body.
Each governor serves on at least one of the following sub-committees:
- Curriculum and Pupil Welfare
- Finance, Personnel, Premises and Health & Safety
The sub-committees meet approximately six times a year, as does the full governing body to which they report.
POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE GOVERNING BODY
Ultimately the governing body is responsible for the following main areas:
- setting appropriate targets for pupil achievement, and monitoring and managing these;
- managing the school budget and making decisions on staff pay;
- making sure that the curriculum is balanced and broadly based;
- reporting to parents regarding National Curriculum assessments;
- appointing the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher;
- determining how the appointment of new staff will be managed;
- establishing procedures for the management of staff conduct and discipline and staff grievances;
- establishing, following consultation with all staff, and reviewing annually a performance management staff appraisal system;
- managing governors’ duties to pupils with Special Educational Needs;
- health and safety;
- management and maintenance of the school premises and new construction works.
Much of the above is achieved through governors supporting staff as critical friends.
MINUTES OF GOVERNING BODY MEETINGS
These and agendas, reports and papers considered at meetings are available for inspection by any interested person. Please contact the Clerk to the Governors through the school should you wish to see any of this documentation.
RAISING ISSUES OF CONCERN WITH THE GOVERNING BODY
Issues should only be raised with the governing body when all the avenues for resolution with school staff, especially the Headteacher, have been tried. Obviously, if the issue directly concerns the Headteacher then it would be appropriate to go straight to the governing body. Contact with the governing body should be made to the Chair through the school.
GOVERNOR INFORMATION PAGE