School History 1912-2002

 

The Beginning The Growing Years The 39ers                                      

 

                                                                                                                                             

                         
1912 - 1922 1922 - 1932 1932 - 1942

 

The Beginning  1912 - 1922

The formation of the Mount Estate Company in 1905 marked the beginning of Mount Lawley as a suburb.

The school, known as Inglewood School, began in a rented Anglican Mission Hall located in Beaufort Street between First and Second Avenue. School commenced on 15 April 1912, with an enrolment of twenty one children and one teacher, Mr Henry Schneider. By 1915 the school was catering for year levels.

Enrolment during the first year grew to forty-seven students and in 1913 a brick building was erected on its current location, on Second Avenue.

Source: Mt Lawley Primary School 1912-1979

 

 

 
The Growing Years 1922 - 1322

During this decade the school number grew to well over 600 students by the end of 1932. Mr Nadebaum, Headmaster from 1925 to 1930 continued the tradition of music by inspiring students and staff with the formation of a school band.

Ms Grace Tomlinson recalls marching into school each morning in twos accompanied by the band which consisted of thirty flutes, a bass drum and two kettle drums.

Singing was also a strong feature and in 1927, the school choir was selected to sing at King’s Park on the occasion of the visit of the Duke and Duchess of York.

Source: Mt Lawley Primary School 1912-1979

The school’s enrolment continued to grow during this decade. Mr Bruce Teede, former student, remembers how every morning the school assembled in the quadrangle and the Headmaster, Mr Wally (Tiger) Chandler, would address them with “orders” for the day. 

The school’s sporting achievements were highlighted in 1939 with winning the state schools’ football, swimming and cricket championships and this proud tradition continues today.  One very talented sportsman, Mr Frank Sparrow, started a group called the 39ers who continued to meet at school until recently.

 

The 39ers 1932 - 1942

The school’s enrolment continued to grow during this decade. Mr Bruce Teede, former student, remembers how every morning the school assembled in the quadrangle and the Headmaster, Mr Wally (Tiger) Chandler, would address them with “orders” for the day. 

The school’s sporting achievements were highlighted in 1939 with winning the state schools’ football, swimming and cricket championships and this proud tradition continues today.  One very talented sportsman, Mr Frank Sparrow, started a group called the 39ers who continued to meet at school until recently. 

Celebrating Staff  1952 - 1962
Headmaster, Mr E. Nichols, noted in 1959 that “From a modest beginning with a enrolment of 21 to its numerical peak in 1954 -55 of 660 with a staff of 15, the school kept pace with the development of the district.

 

Ms Shirley Lee recalls the practice training they had to do while the War was on, “by filing out of our classrooms as quickly as possible and jumping into long trenches which had been dug around the school, in case there was an air raid over Perth.”

The school’s first magazine, ‘The Banksia’ was published in November 1946 as a result of a P. & C. initiative. This proud publication has continued over the years under the guidance of Ms Penny Hudson and a Year seven editorial team.

In 1951 the school name was changed to Mount Lawley Primary. 

The War Years 1942 - 1952

Miss Ellen Arkley and Miss Jessie Arkley were two sisters who taught at school from 1940 till their retirement in 1960. Their retirement in 1960 was described as ‘an irreparable loss’.

As a memorial to their service to the school, a stone seat was built by the children and P. & C. Association, and this still stands in the junior playground today.


The Golden Jubilee 1952 - 1962

In 1962 the school celebrated its Golden Jubilee. As part of the celebrations a school concert was held in the Perth Town Hall, a souvenir book published and a headmasters’ honour board unveiled in the school entrance hall.

In 1966, new teacher Mr Patrick Weir wrote an abridged version of Gilbert & Sullivan’s comedy H.M.S. Pinafore suitable for a children production which was performed later in the year.

In 1967 a decision was made to roof the school quadrangle, thus providing a covered assembly area. Two years later the covered assembly was completed.

 

The Sundial 1972 - 1982

In 1973 two new classrooms were built to a split level design. These long awaited additions, together with the new Resource/Library Centre which was completed in 1977 were welcomed additions to the school.

In 1973 the school established a four faction system. The faction names were Menzies (Red), Holt (Blue), Chifley (Green) and Curtin (Gold).

On Saturday, 20 October 1979, Mt. Lawley Primary held a fete and a reunion for ex-students. During the day a new sundial was unveiled by Mr Henderson (former Deputy Principal) and a time capsule was buried to be opened at the school’s centenary in 2012.

 

The Clark Years  1982 - 1992   

Mr John Clark has been the longest serving Principal at Mount Lawley Primary School. Under his stewardship the school celebrated its 75 Anniversary in 1987, and published a book entitled ‘Their Stories, Our History’. In addition, Mr Clark continued to develop the exceptional music program which is still a feature of the school’s curriculum.

During these years and especially in 1987, the P. & C. Association under the guidance of its secretary, Peter Randolph and President, Meredith Scull formed a number of sub-committees to encourage more parents to be actively involved in school activities and projects.

 

Melodious Moments  1992 - 2002  
In 1992 the school celebrated its 80th Anniversary with a special breakfast with over 200 people in attendance. 

In 1995 the school’s undercover assembly area was extended and at the end of the year every classroom had an evaporative airconditioning system installed.

During these years the school’s Music and Instrumental programs (under the direction of Mrs Gerri Cox) continued to provide its local and wider communities with exceptional performances from its Ensembles, Orchestra, Band and Choirs.

In 2002 the school celebrated nine decades of education with a special assembly

The Building Years   2002 - 2012  
The school’s BER building program was completed at the end of 2011 with the addition of a new wing which accommodates a number of new activities including Art/Craft, Music and Early Childhood Education.

In addition, the State funded two storey building was also completed in 2011 providing the school with a new state of the arts computer room, a new classroom, a number of small teaching areas and new senior toilets. 

Through out these years the P. & C. Association worked hard to fundraise to ensure that every classroom has interactive technologies and reverse cycle airconditioning