- Deep Fryers are NOT used in Standing Rock Schools kitchens; all products are baked.
- A fresh fruit and/or vegetable and fresh salads are offered at EVERY lunch. Encourage your kids to choose these items often!
- All cold sandwiches, hamburgers, sloppy joes, hot dogs, shredded beef, and chicken patties are served on whole grain breads and buns.
- The pizza crust contains whole grains and is made with reduced-fat cheese and reduced-fat pepperoni.
- The corn dog is actually a ‘lower-fat chicken dog' in a whole grain crust and contains 5 grams of fiber which is more than many cereals.
- The bread sticks and garlic toast are made with whole grain products.
- The hot dog is made with beef, served on a whole grain bun, and offered once every other month with fresh cauliflower, carrots, an orange, and baked beans which are all good sources of fiber.
- A "grilled" chicken patty and "grilled" chicken fajita strips are offered as well as new "unbreaded" chicken nuggets.
- The chili is homemade and contains baked beans and chili beans which are good sources of fiber and iron.
- Baked beans, an excellent fiber source, are offered twice per month.
- Reduced-fat salad dressings are offered for vegetable dips and salads.
Each meal meets USDA guidelines for ALL nutrients, including Vitamins A & C, iron, fiber, and calcium, which are important for children's health and reducing the risk for chronic health problems.
Standing Rock Schools students who eat meals at school are more likely consume more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and dairy products throughout the day!